From the first mouthful, I’m instantly taken to sweet memories of my grandmother’s lemon meringue pie. She used to make me the most delicious Lemon Curd or as I knew it then “Lemon Butter”. However, I think this healthy low GI version of the recipe using Perfect Sweet™ xylitol instead of sugar, tastes even better. The sugar free and gluten free lemon curd recipe is certainly healthier for me as it does not spike my sugar levels. The lemon juice and the zest are also a wonderful source for nutrients.
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
Makes 500ml (500g)
- 4 eggs, large (50g)
- 90g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated,
- 125ml lemon juice
- 150g unsalted butter, diced
- Place eggs, xylitol, lemon zest and juice in the top of a non-aluminium double boiler or in a heatproof glass or ceramic bowl. Place over a saucepan filled with gently simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Whisk well to combine.
- Gradually whisk in diced butter and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until creamy and thickened. This can take approx 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove bowl from water and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Pour lemon curd into hot sterilised jars and seal when completely cooled. Keep refrigerated.
It is important to keep stirring the lemon curd mixture until it is thickened to prevent it from separating. Remove from heat as soon as it is has thickened. I use organic lemons because of my concerns regarding the use of pesticides.
Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water, rinse well and place lids upside down on a wire rack to dry. Place jars on paper lined baking tray right side up. Place in cold oven and turn heat to 120°C/100°C fan-forced. Heat for 30 minutes.
You can also place clean jars and lids upside-down in a dishwasher and put through a wash-dry cycle without detergent. Use the jars hot from the dishwasher.