An all natural mouthwash, containing Perfect Sweet™ xylitol can not only be used to freshen breath but can kill the bacteria that cause plaque and gum disease. This simple homemade mouthwash, keeps your breath sweet, like chewing on fresh parsley or chewing sugar free PUR® Chewing Gum. Read how xylitol can prevent Tooth Decay.
Not everyone is aware that the chemical ingredients found in most mouthwashes can be quite harsh and can harm the very sensitive lining on the inside of your mouth. The recipe below is natural and gentle. All natural ingredients include antibacterial cinnamon, rosemary, clove essential oils, coconut oil and xylitol. Coconut oil’s high levels of antimicrobial and antibacterial auric acid make it the perfect choice for this recipe.
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop clove oil
- Dissolve the xylitol in the warm water in a small bowl,
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, stirring to help the coconut oil fully liquefy.
- Swish a teaspoon of mouthwash for up to 10-20 minutes—it’s called oil pulling and it helps draw out toxins and bacteria.
- Spit out when finished.
- Store remaining mouthwash in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Shake before using. This recipe makes at least 6 doses.
How Xylitol Prevents Tooth Decay
Xylitol has a unique 5 carbon structure metabolised only by friendly bacteria. It is a sweetener that occurs naturally, in berries and other fruits, some vegetables and in the woody fibres of birch tree and corncobs. Xylitol increases saliva flow and alkalinity, so the bacteria in the mouth cannot replicate in it’s presence, which helps neutralise the acids in the mouth and stops an ‘acid attack’. Xylitol can also strengthen tooth enamel and repair small emerging cavities.