There is nothing more comforting and delicious on a cold winter’s night, than a warm baked custard! This recipe is low GI, sugar free, rich in protein and will leave you feeling completely satisfied.
- 225ml milk
- 225ml whipping cream
- 30g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 3 X-large eggs
- 1 X-large egg, yolk only
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Grated nutmeg or ground cinnamon, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 170oC/150oC fan-forced. Place 4 x 125ml capacity ovenproof dishes in a baking dish or roasting pan.
- Place milk, cream and xylitol in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until warmed.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolk and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined. Stir into the milk mixture. Strain mix through a fine sieve into individual dishes. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Fill baking dish or roasting pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the custard dishes.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until custard has set and a round bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temparature as desired.