Whenever you feel like a sweet treat, reach for one of these healthy low GI cookies made with chickpea flour and Perfect Sweet™ xylitol. This healthy cookie will leave you more satisfied and unlike others, our cardamom and chickpea cookies recipe won’t lead to a massive sugar high that causes mood swings.
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
- 250g unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 60ml (¼ cup) macadamia oil
- 120g (½ cup) Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 5 tsps ground cardamom
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 500g chickpea (besan) flour
- 1 cup raw shelled unsalted pistachio nuts
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, oil, xylitol, cardamom and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour, turning the mixture over until a crumbly dough forms. Knead the dough (it will break apart but keep pushing the mixture together for about 5 minutes).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 6mm. Press out cookies with a cutter. Use a spatula to lift them off the bench and onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Press a pistachio nut into the centre of each cookie and leave the trays aside for 20 minutes to set. While the cookies are setting, preheat the oven to 160℃.
- After 30 minutes, put the trays into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Makes 50 (using a 6cm diameter circular cookie cutter)
This is a very crumbly dough, you may need to use your hands to push the dough together before you press out the cookies. The spatula helps to keep the dough together when transporting from bench to baking tray. Once cooked, the cookie dough is stabilized and forms a lovely cookie texture.
Low GI, low carb, higher protein and still delicious, you’ll love our sugar free and gluten free cardamom and chickpea cookies recipe. Try it today!