These eclairs are so delicious, you will be wondering why they have not been available before now! Just like the eclairs you dream of and SUGAR FREE! Fill them with whipped cream, creme Patissiere or maybe whipped cream and our sugar free Lemon Curd….have fun with a different variety of sugar free fillings.
- 1 batch eclairs
- 1 batch Crème Patissiere (custard cream)
- 1 batch Chocolate ganache
While the ganache is still warm, dip each éclair, top down into the ganache to coat. Place onto a tray to set.
Pipe the custard into the centre of each éclair to fill.
- 90g butter
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 200°. Grease an oven tray and sprinkle it with water.
- Sift the flour onto a piece of paper. This makes it easier to shoot the whole lot into the pot when needed. Chop the butter into pieces and add with the water to a medium saucepan. Over a moderate heat, bring the water and the butter to a boil. It is important that the butter has melted before the water boils or some of the measured water will evaporate.
- Immediately shoot all the flour into the pot and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. As soon as the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and comes together into a smooth ball, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- If you have a hand-held beater, use that in the saucepan to mix in the eggs, one at a time into the mixture and work them in well. If you do not have a hand-held beater, you can use a wooden spoon.
- The mixture should be smooth and shiny but still hold its shape. If it looks a little dry, mix in a spoonful of water.
- You will need a piping bag with a broad plain nozzle to pipe 8cm long sections of the mixture onto the prepared tray. Bake until the eclairs are a rich golden brown.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk the egg yolks and xylitol in a medium bowl.
- Add the flour and enough milk to make a thick cream.
- Meanwhile bring the rest of the milk to a boil, along with the split vanilla bean or extract. Remove the vanilla bean and pour this over the yolk mix, whisking all the time. Return to the heat and bring back to the boil. Lower the heat as far as possible and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl to cool, cover with a piece of cling wrap pressed right down on to the top of the surface.
- 50ml whipping cream
- 20g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 125g Raw Dark Chocolate or good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Gently heat the cream and xylitol in a small saucepan, do not boil.
- Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool slightly.
- Dip the top side of each eclair into the mix to coat and put onto a tray to set.