Eating cakes like this one was unimaginable when I was first diagnosed, pre-diabetic and gluten intolerant. It has always been difficult to find gluten free cakes that are not loaded with sugar. Not any more! Even my friends without food intolerances, love this flourless gateaux.
Serves 8 – 10
- Butter or oil, to grease
- 250g raw almonds, ground
- 80g shredded coconut
- 4 large eggs
- 100g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- Pinch of salt
- 20g cacao powder or good quality cocoa
- 150g coconut oil, melted
- 100g fresh or frozen raspberries
Dairy Free Ganache
- 3 ripe avocados
- 100g coconut oil, melted
- 60g cacao powder or good quality cocoa
- 75g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 250g fresh raspberries, to decorate
- Raw Dark Chocolate or good quality sugar free dark chocolate, shaved or grated, to decorate
- Powdered xylitol for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Brush 4 × 17cm spring form cake pans with butter to grease. Line with baking paper.
- Combine the ground almonds and coconut in a large bowl, then set aside.
- Place the eggs, xylitol and salt in a clean bowl and using an electric beater on high speed, whisk until pale. Add the cacao and beat on slow speed until combined. Gradually add the coconut oil and beat on medium speed.
- Add the ground almond and coconut mixture and fold into the egg mixture to combine.
- Pour a quarter of the cake mixture into each cake pan. Then place a quarter of your raspberries (25g) into each pan and push down into the cake mixture. If you only have 1 or 2 cake pans, bake 1 or 2 cakes at a time until you have 4 layers.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean with a few crumbs. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then turn onto wire racks to finish cooling.
Dairy Free Ganache
Process all ingredients until smooth and shiny.
Use a quarter of the ganache and spread over the first cake layer, top with 50g raspberries. Add the second cake layer, use a quarter of the ganache and spread over the second cake layer, top with 50g raspberries, repeat for the 3rd layer. Top with the 4th layer, cover with remaining ganache and
decorate with the remaining 100g raspberries. Before serving, dust with powdered xylitol and finish with shaved or grated chocolate.