We developed this sugar free fruit tea jelly recipe for a customer on a restricted sugar diet. Using Perfect Sweet™ xylitol instead of sugar and caffeine free herbal tea for enhanced flavour. The 500ml of tea can be substituted with berry juice or any other fruit juice but please note that it will no longer be sugar free because of the fructose content in the fruit juice. If you are a vegetarian, you may want to substitute gelatine with agar agar powder (5g agar agar = 4.5g carb), a seaweed extract available from health food stores.
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
Makes 4 half-cup jellies.
- 2 caffeine free herbal tea bags of your choice
- 500ml boiling water
- 1 – 2 tbsp Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 3 tsp of gelatine (or 1 teaspoon agar agar powder)
- 125g fresh blueberries
- Mint sprigs, to decorate
- Place teabags in a heatproof jug (for this recipewe used mixed berry tea bags) and pour in 375ml of the boiling water. Infuse for 10 minutes. Remove the teabags and add xylitol, stir to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, place the remaining 125ml boiling water, sprinkle over the gelatine and whisk until dissolved.
- Add the infused tea to dissolved gelatine and stir well. Cool to room temperature.
- Divide berries into 4 x 160ml serving glasses and add the room temperature jelly mixture. (The berries will rise to the top if the jelly is too warm.)
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Decorate with mint sprigs before serving.
- Omit the gelatine and extra boiling water. Place 125ml of cold water in a small saucepan. Stir in 1 tsp agar agar powder and stand for 5 minutes.
- Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Proceed as per recipe.
Deliciously healthy, your guests will be left wanting more. Try our sugar free fruit tea jelly recipe now!