At last, delicious, gluten free Lamingtons….and we think they taste better than the original recipe! More protein than the regular variety and naturally sugar free.
These Lamingtons make a lovely edible gift at any time of year.
See our Pink Lamington recipe variation below .
- 150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 100g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 3 large eggs
- 200g almond meal
- 50g arrowroot, sifted
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 180ml milk, lukewarm
- 1 tsp arrowroot, sifted
- 250ml cold water
- 20g cacao powder or good quality cocoa
- 60g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 20g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g desiccated coconut, to coat
- Beetroot powder (if making Pink Lamingtons). See recipe variation below.
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm square cake pan with butter and line with baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and xylitol in a medium bowl until pale and fluffy. While beating, add one egg at a time, until well combined.
- Combine the almond meal, arrowroot, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and then add to the egg mixture. Mix on low speed. Stir in the milk until combined.
- Pour mixture into lined cake pan and bake for 35–40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10–15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to give the cake a chance to firm up before slicing.
- Cut cake into 16 cubes.
- Make a slurry with the arrowroot and 2 tbsp of the water in a small bowl. Stir in the remainder of the water and transfer into a small saucepan.
- Stir in the cacao and the xylitol and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the butter.
- Using a fork, dip each square into the chocolate mixture, coating all sides, then roll in the coconut. Place on a rack to dry. Continue until all lamingtons are coated.
Make them Pretty in Pink! In the Chocolate Coating method, add some beetroot powder to the coconut and mix evenly. Then dip each cube in the chocolate mixture and roll in the pink coconut.