We love a good upside down cake, and this version is a good one, it’s so light and delicious! Simple to make, a treat to decorate, and most importantly, incredibly tasty. Our version of the yummy upside down cake, is of course sugar free and is sure to have your guests wanting another slice! Who knew a gluten free cake recipe could be this delicious!
Pear and Coconut Upside Down Cake Recipe
Serves 8 – 10
- Coconut oil to grease
- 4 ripe but firm pears
- 20ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed (approx 1 lemon)
- 200g desiccated coconut
- 100g raw cashews, finely chopped
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 3 X-large eggs
- 100g Perfect Sweet™ xylitol
- 20g cacao or good quality cocoa
- Pomegranate seeds and fresh mint leaves to decorate
- Preheat oven 170˚C/150˚C fan-forced. Line a 24cm spring form cake pan with foil. Brush foil with coconut oil.
- Slice pears about 3mm – 4mm thick and arrange in a double layer on the base of the cake pan. Sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Combine the coconut, cashews and gluten free baking powder in a large bowl, mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Using an electric beater, in a clean bowl, beat the eggs and xylitol on high speed until pale and creamy. Add the cacao and beat on low speed until combined.
- Gently fold the cacao mixture into the dry ingredients. Spoon mixture over the pears in the bottom of the cake pan.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes, then turn onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cold, decorate with pomegranate seeds.
And that’s it! Not much else is needed for this deliciously healthy sugar free and gluten free upside down cake recipe. Try it today!