The many benefits of massage may surprise you. Not just the remedial benefits of a professional therapist, but just as beneficial is the benefit of human touch from a well meaning loved one. Learning to give and receive a massage from your partner can be one of the best ways to improve your relationship, manage anxiety and improve your sleep!
Massage helps to circulate the lymph which helps to keep us well, and not only can massage relieve pain & help restore emotional balance, it just feels good!
Just 10 minutes of massage can reduce muscle inflammation, which can help your body recover from a good workout. But the health benefits of touch extend beyond simply soothing aches and pains. Of course, the stressed-out have been proponents of the anxiety-busting procedure for decades, but a growing body of research suggests that a rubdown is even better for you than you think.
8 reasons to add regular massage to your life:
Manage Anxiety And Depression
– For the same reasons that a massage is relaxing, it can also soothe anxiety and depression. Massage reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol , resulting in lifted spirits and often lower blood pressure. It can also boost the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine, which are involved in depression.
– Over time, many people will experience some sort of back pain, but a massage can help . According to a 2011 study, massage helped people in pain, feel and function better compared to people who didn’t receive any massage treatment. “We found the benefits of massage are about as strong as those reported for other effective treatments: medications, acupuncture, exercise and yoga,” Dan Cherkin, Ph.D., lead author of the study, said in a press release. Massage has also been linked to decreased stiffness and pain , as well as better range of motion in people with osteoarthritis.
– If you’ve ever dozed off on a massage table, you don’t need to be convinced that a massage can promote healthy sleep. This is due to massage’s affect on delta waves , the kind of brain waves connected to deep sleep, according to Health magazine.
– Multiple studies, although often small, have linked massage to better functioning of the immune system . In one 2010 study, researchers found massage increased a person’s disease-fighting white blood cells. The stress-reducing powers of massage can also help keep you healthy .
– At least one small study found that massage can kick pesky PMS symptoms, like bloating and mood swings, to the curb.
– Want to boost your brainpower? Adults who were given a 15-minute chair massage in a small 1996 Touch Research Institute (TRI) study were more alert and completed a series of math questions faster and more accurately.
– Just like muscle and back pain, headaches can also be alleviated with massage. A regular rubdown can reduce a person’s number of migraines, according to WebMD, as well as limit how painful each migraine feels, according to the TRI. A 2009 study found that a 30-minute massage decreased pain for people with tension headaches and even curbed some of the stress and anger associated with that pounding head.
Save Face with the Benefits of Human Touch
– A little prodding in the right places can even have beauty benefits too. ” Massage increases blood flow, which plumps up slack skin, encourages lymphatic drainage (the shuttling of toxins out and away from cells so that more nutrients can travel in) and adds vitality to a dull complexion and lackluster hair,” Kimara Ahnert, a New York City skin-care studio owner told Women’s Health . You don’t even have to make an appointment — simply rubbing your face and scalp for a few minutes can make a big difference.