This trifle is a wonderful recipe for when you are busy planning an event, as the Orange Tea Cake can be baked 3 days ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator. Use a portion of the cake for the trifle and keep the remainder for unexpected guests. Healthy and nutritious, the Orange Tea Cake and the Fruit Tea Jelly use natural ingredients and are sugar free! Perfect for everyone.
- 300g Orange Tea Cake
- 250ml fresh orange juice or sherry
- 300g fresh berries of your choice
- 500ml Fruit Tea Jelly
- 300ml whipped cream
- Coarsely crumble or cube the baked, cooled cake and place a bowl. Add orange juice or sherry and soak for 5 minutes. If using strawberries, rinse, hull and quarter. Dice the jelly. Use an electric beater to beat the cream in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fill 6 x 125 ml serving glasses or bowls with alternating layers of the cake mixture, diced jelly, berries and whipped cream, finishing with whipped cream and berries.
- Cover the trifles with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill and develop flavours.
- VARIATION: Substitute the whipped cream with natural yoghurt, fresh ricotta or mascarpone sweetened with xylitol.