One of our summer superfoods is the seeds of the delicious ruby red pomegranate!
Here are 10 things to know about this Summer Superfood
- Anti-inflammatory: Eating pomegranates reduces the production of chemicals that cause inflammation.
- They’re believed to be good for the heart: It’s a heart-healthy fruit that can help reduce blood pressure. Research so far is limited, but due to the anti-oxidant content in pomegranates, this could assist in lowering inflammation and as a result, promote healthier arteries.
- Assist with weight loss: Pomegranate might help reduce obesity caused by high-fat diets and protect against metabolic disorders.
- Skin damage: The strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranate might help protect skin against sun-induced damage.
- Could improve sexual health: Pomegranate juice has been shown to enhance blood flow…say no more!
- Protect the liver: The major antioxidant components harnessed from pomegranates are polyphenols and flavonoids, these may protect people from liver damage.
- Fight infection: Recognized for its antimicrobial effects, the pomegranate can help conditions like candida and yeast.
- Women in labor: Pomegranate extract has the potential to be used to encourage the uterus to contract during labor, through a rise in calcium, which is necessary for any muscle to contract. Pregnant women should avoid taking pomegranate extract as it may contain the rind of the fruit, but the juice is generally considered to be safe.
- Protect against arthritis: Pomegranate is used as a nutritional therapy in alternative medicine for inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
- Help with brain health: Pomegranates can also inhibit inflammation in specialized brain cells, to help prevent or slow down Alzheimer’s development.
Cooking with Pomegranate
While we do not really cook with pomegranate, we do add it to our delicious Pear and Coconut Cake as an edible decoration. Or you can simply add them to yoghurt or a chocolate mousse! You can eat the whole seed or spit out the middle white part if preferred.